On Wednesday, October 25, 2023, Maple Ridge Christian School is partnering with Safer Schools Together to provide all of our students in Grades 4-12 with the opportunity to attend a workshop on establishing safe, caring, and respectful digital communities.
This student session is presented by trained staff from Safer Schools Together and covers all things digital, from being a good digital citizen to the criminal consequences of cyberbullying. Some of the most prominent concerns surrounding students’ use of social media platforms and smartphones will be discussed.
These sessions are run in age appropriate groups. Our students will be in the following groups with MRCS staff present in each session:
Gr 4-5: 9-10:00 AM
Gr 6-8: 10:30-11:30 AM
Gr 9-12: 12:30-1:30 PM
STUDENTS WILL LEARN:
- Digital media habits, oversharing, and digital addiction
- The permanence of online posts/activity
- The significance of your digital tattoo in how others perceive you (e.g., sports teams, college admissions, and potential employers)
- The importance of caring for peers both online and offline
- Geo-locational settings and the dangers of social media and cell phone misuse
- The social and legal consequences of cyberbullying behavior as well as possession and distribution of intimate images (sexting and sextortion)
If you do not want your child to attend this workshop, please copy the statement at the end of this notice stating your wish to have your child work quietly in an alternate, supervised location during this workshop and email Mrs. Kim O’Dell at . The deadline for this email to be submitted to Mrs. O’Dell stating this desire is Wednesday, October 18, 2023.
We are also ensuring that this topic is something that we commit to as a school community. All of our teaching staff and administrative team will be attending a staff version of this same workshop on Friday, October 13 from 2:30-4:30 PM.
There will be a free workshop offered to all interested parents on Wednesday, October 25, 2023 from 6:30-8:30 PM. Registration for this workshop will be sent out to all parents in a separate app post.
Email Statement to Withdraw Your Child From the Safer Schools Together Workshop:
I would like my child, ___________________________, to work in an alternate space during the Establishing Safe, Caring, and Respectful Digital Communities workshop on Wednesday, October 25, 2023.