Buzz October 5, 2020
Tomorrow is Student Photo Day
Pick out some picture-perfect clothes because tomorrow is student photo day! On Tuesday, October 6, Photo Express will be taking student photos at the school. Photo Express will directly email parents a proof of their child’s photo and will provide options for ordering photo packages.
Pro-D Day This Friday
This Friday, October 9 is a Professional Development Day when there are no classes in session. We wish all of our MRCS families a lovely extended Thanksgiving weekend!
New Speed Reader
On October 15, a new electronic speed reader sign will be installed for one month on Wicklund Avenue. This sign will help make drivers aware of their speed in the school zone around our school. Please heed this warning and slow down for the safety of our students and the families of our surrounding neighbourhood.
COVID Protocols Regarding a School Exposure
With more and more schools reporting cases of COVID exposure, we would like to reiterate the official procedure in the event of a COVID case at MRCS.
If a student or staff member is confirmed to have COVID-19, and was potentially infectious while they were at school, these steps will be taken:
- Public health will perform an investigation to determine if there were any potential close contacts within the school. (To learn more about contact tracing, visit the BCCDC website.)
- Students and staff who have interacted with the confirmed case may be asked to stay home while public health completes their investigation.
- If it is determined that there are close contacts within the school, public health will notify the school administrators to request class lists to assist with contact tracing and provide guidance on what steps should be taken.
Public health may then:
- Recommend 14-day isolation if necessary (for confirmed close contacts).
- Recommend monitoring for symptoms if necessary.
- Provide follow-up recommendations if necessary.
- The school must continue to provide learning support to students required to self-isolate.
- Together, the school and public health officials will determine if any other actions are needed
To find out further details about our COVID protocols, please read: MRCS Health and Safety Plan »
October 6 – Student photo day
October 9 – ProD Day, NO SCHOOL
October 15 – Clothing orders due
October 16 – High School interim report cards go home
October 19-23 – Kindergarten applications open
October 23 – Elementary interim report cards go home
High School Homework Club
Homework Club (for Grades 8-12) is happening weekly in the high school student lounge. Students will be assigned to specific areas according to their learning groups. Homework Club is on a first come, first served basis and will not accept students once all the spots are filled.
Location: High School Lounge
Times: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 PM
Educational Assistant: Mrs. Cox
The MRCS Clothing Store
Our new online clothing store is open for business! We have eight products for sale that either feature the Hornets or our school logo. Every design is available in child or adult sizes. If your family needs MRCS gear, make sure you get your order in by Thursday, October 15 (this first round of clothing orders may take up to 3 weeks to process).
When you click the MAKE PAYMENT button, you will have the option of paying via a PayPal account or using a credit card:
Once the orders are at the school, we will send the clothing home with the student you indicated on the checkout form or you can make an appointment to pick up your order at the school office.
If you have any questions or feedback, please contact Stephanie Carroll at email@example.com or 604.465.4442. Happy shopping!
*Note to Grade 4 parents: We will continue to offer free PE shirts to Grade 4 students! Current Grade 4 parents were emailed a coupon code to order a PE shirt through the online store. If you did not receive this email, please contact Stephanie Carroll.
Let the Office Know
If your child is going to be late/absent or if s/he will have to leave school during the day — let the office know! Please call 604.465.4442 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the office to explain why your child is missing school to have it properly recorded. Students who are leaving during the school day need to go to the front office to sign out before leaving the school.
Parent Update Centre
The Parent Update Centre is your one-stop online resource for school information. Check it out to find:
- The latest parent emails
- An archive of this year’s Buzz mailings
- Health and COVID-19 links
- School downloads (including the new daily health assessment)
Ready, Set, Run
Last Wednesday, we marked the 40th anniversary of Terry Fox’s historic Canadian marathon. From Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, students walked/ran designated neighbourhood routes. Our school raised over $500 for the cancer research done in Terry’s name—thank you for your support!