As of October 19, we are accepting applications for both of our 2021 kindergarten classes! Do you know someone with kindergarten-aged children? Please spread the word and point any prospective families to our admissions page for more information.
Final Days to Order MRCS Clothing
This Thursday (October 15) is the first ordering deadline for MRCS clothing. If you would like to get your MRCS gear with this first round of orders, the clock is ticking!
Annual General Meeting
Mark your calendars for Wednesday, November 25 at 7 PM when we will hold our Annual General Meeting. Among other items, we will be presenting the 2019/20 financial year-end and will provide a building project update. Further details will be sent to current MRCS families closer to the date.
High School Homework Club
Homework Club (for Grades 8-12) is happening weekly in the high school student lounge. Students will be assigned to specific areas according to their learning groups. Homework Club is on a first come, first served basis and will not accept students once all the spots are filled.
Location: High School Lounge
Times: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 PM
Educational Assistant: Mrs. Cox
October 15 – Clothing orders due
October 16 – High School interim report cards go home
October 19-23 – Kindergarten applications open for 2021-22
October 23 – Grades 1-7 interim report cards go home
November 11 – Remembrance Day – NO SCHOOL
November 12 – Pro-D Day – NO SCHOOL
November 13 – Report Card Writing Day – NO SCHOOL
November 25 – Annual General Meeting, 7:00 PM
New Speed Reader
On October 15, a new electronic speed reader sign will be installed for one month on Wicklund Avenue. This sign will help make drivers aware of their speed in the school zone around our school. Please heed this warning and slow down for the safety of our students and the families of our surrounding neighbourhood.
COVID Protocols Regarding a School Exposure
With more and more schools reporting cases of COVID exposure, we would like to reiterate the official procedure in the event of a COVID case at MRCS.
If a student or staff member is confirmed to have COVID-19, and was potentially infectious while they were at school, these steps will be taken:
- Public health will perform an investigation to determine if there were any potential close contacts within the school. (To learn more about contact tracing, visit the BCCDC website.)
- Students and staff who have interacted with the confirmed case may be asked to stay home while public health completes their investigation.
- If it is determined that there are close contacts within the school, public health will notify the school administrators to request class lists to assist with contact tracing and provide guidance on what steps should be taken.
Public health may then:
- Recommend 14-day isolation if necessary (for confirmed close contacts).
- Recommend monitoring for symptoms if necessary.
- Provide follow-up recommendations if necessary.
- The school must continue to provide learning support to students required to self-isolate.
- Together, the school and public health officials will determine if any other actions are needed
To find out further details about our COVID protocols, please read: MRCS Health and Safety Plan »
Let the Office Know
If your child is going to be late/absent or if s/he will have to leave school during the day — let the office know! Please call 604.465.4442 or email (email@example.com) the office to explain why your child is missing school to have it properly recorded. Students who are leaving during the school day need to go to the front office to sign out before leaving the school.
Parent Update Centre
The Parent Update Centre is your one-stop online resource for school information. Check it out to find:
- The latest parent emails
- An archive of this year’s Buzz mailings
- Health and COVID-19 links
- School downloads (including the new daily health assessment)
Whose tower is the tallest?
Last week, the Grade 4/5 learning group explored collaboration, communication, and experimentation in this STEM tower building challenge!