Our vision to bring Christian education to Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows began in September 1956. Twenty-eight students and two teachers met in the basement of a local church and the first classes of “Haney-Pitt Meadows Christian School” were underway. The curriculum focused on a Biblical worldview and challenged students to impact the world for God’s glory. Enrolment grew and the school made one more move to a two-room school on the corner of Harris and McNeil Roads in Pitt Meadows before buying the present property on 204B Street in 1959.
But the property was without a building and our founders sought an innovative solution. In November 1961, they purchased the old Shaughnessy Hospital in Vancouver, barged it up the Fraser River and trucked it through the streets of Pitt Meadows to the property. Enrolment continued to grow and plans to build followed.
In September 1988, Phase I of the present building was completed. Phase II was completed in November of 1990, and in that same month, the old Shaughnessy Hospital wing was demolished. Phase III was completed for school opening September 1992. In the summer of 1995, the portables were added.
In the 2000’s, the school went through an exciting and challenging transition. We added our high school program and our first Grade 12 class graduated in June 2002. We changed our name to “Maple Ridge Christian School” in September 2004. There were also plans to build but the project did not go ahead. Despite the challenges, we celebrated 50 years of Christian education and God’s faithfulness.
Today, our vision for Christian education has not changed. We are committed to being salt and light for Jesus Christ in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows for generations to come.
Our vision to provide Christian education for the families of Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows remains strong.
In 2018, we renovated our Library Learning Commons to facilitate the innovative learning we provide. The changes included providing more collaborative and presentation space. The Board of Directors also announced a five year strategy to remain a small school. We also have exciting plans to replace our portables with a new education wing to better serve the needs of our students.
As we grow, we want to remain true to our mission to provide Christian education that transforms the heart and minds of our students—and the world—for the glory of God.
Learn more about World Changers, our current capital campaign »